Sunday, December 24, 2017

What is Christmas



I saw a YouTube video a few days ago, where this YouTuber said Christmas is all about giving, so he was buying a 55 inch TV for his girlfriend’s father’s new flat. Another YouTuber said this is the busiest time of year because of all the shopping and visiting. Some advertisement emphasise this season as the holiday season.  There’s traffic all over UK because people are travelling to go and meet their families for Christmas dinners.

Since when did Christmas become all of the above? As far as I remember, Christmas is Jesus Christ’s birthday. He wasn’t really born on the 25th of December, it’s just a date to celebrate His birth and the reason for His birth.

Instead of celebrating the reason for the season, Christmas has become so commercial and it is celebrated for reasons that are not relevant at all. It’s all about presents, Christmas trees, lights, decorations and holidays. What baffle me the most are family dinners. People talk about having meals with family over Christmas as if they never meet their families for dinner any other time in the whole year. There are those who live far apart and are busy with their own agendas, but why would you only want to make time during Christmas to see family. What about the rest of 364 days in the year? 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m no saint. I’ve been waiting to shop since forever, and I got everyone’s Christmas presents ready a month before Christmas. When my mum arrived yesterday, I was watching her unpack and separate Christmas presents. And I was quick to make sure she got me more presents than she did for Laxman. My fridge is over flowing with food, and yet we keep buying more food everyday. Guilty as charged.

I mean, it’s really special that Christmas is the only occasion that the whole world celebrates. If it were to be your birthday, wouldn’t you want it to be about you and only you? Would you be happy if you friends and family were more interested in decorations and shopping rather than spending time with you?

Without being preachy, I might be bold enough to say no to presents and decorations next year, and focus more on the reason for the season. It’s really something to think about, if the whole world celebrates someone’s birthday, He’s definitely worth the time and effort.

That’s what Christmas is all about. It’s CHRISTmas. Happy birthday Jesus.



No comments: