Sunday, February 25, 2018

New item on the shopping list


Remember the day when I was talking about wanting to buy a new watch that cost about £200 about 2 weeks ago? I’ll admit, I had/have absolutely no valid reason that I can justify and it’s definitely not out of necessity. 

Fast-forward to present time; I’ve found something five times more expensive that I’m obsessing about. Again, absolutely no valid reasons whatsoever, not out of necessity, and definitely not because I’ve got £1000 ready to spend on this.

When Laxman offered to change my phone for me months ago (I’ve been due for an upgrade for donkey’s years now by the way), I declined, I said I didn’t need a new one, this works fine, it’s all the same thing, the new phone is far too expensive, so I’m not changing my phone, and all that jazz. A few weeks later he knocked my phone out of my hands and it fell, sustaining some scratches on it. I still insisted I didn’t need a new phone.

A few weeks ago I started noticing really nice pictures on Instagram that were shot on the iPhone X. I started changing heart slowly, but surely. I started telling Laxman how annoying my phone was. The speakers were not working so I had to reboot my phone almost everyday, I didn’t have any storage space on my phone at all that I kept getting that annoying out of space message every time I tried to take a picture so I kept deleting everything from my whatsapp history and gallery, I cannot update my phone cos there isn’t enough space!

So 2 days ago, upon Laxman’s regular coaxing, I started looking for upgrade deals on Vodafone. iPhone X was far too expensive that I didn’t have the heart to do it immediately, but neither did I want to get iPhone 8 which was half the price. Laxman said go ahead, it’s your early birthday gift and I said no. (I know what I’m like, I’ll take this now and come June, I’ll wait for another present.) Not whole-heartedly though.

However, I didn’t stop there and leave it all behind me. I was still looking for iPhone X cases and screen protectors in Amazon and putting it in the basket, constantly kept looking at the Vodafone website, hoping there would be some miraculously good deal. I don’t know what I was trying to proof. 

The cheekiest was this evening. When I was talking to mum over the phone this evening, I was looking for my headphones. I didn’t find it in the usual place, so I searched all over the house, twice, and even between the sofa cushions. There’s no way I’d let anything go between my sofa cushions, leave alone stay in there. I made Laxman search for it as well, but we still couldn’t find it, so he got me his old headphones to use temporarily. I used it, but in my mind, I had devised a cheeky plan. I was going to use this as an excuse to get a new phone. I don’t have my headphones, so I deserve a new phone?! What was I even thinking?? Don’t ask! 10 minutes later, I found my own headphones in my coat pocket, the coat that I have been wearing for the last hour. I sneakily walked away to the room to hide it so Laxman doesn’t see it. But looks like he’s more observant than I give him credit for. He noticed and followed me to the room to see what I was doing and found out I was trying to hide my headphones. And then I had to explain my master plan to him. All this while I was talking to my mother on the phone.

I don’t know if this will ever die down; the need for wanting to buy everything that’s brand new and jazzy. 2 days ago I actually prayed that this desire for wanting to constantly shop should end. I mean, it’s not the end of the world if I don’t have the latest trend in clothes or bags or technology. But 2 minutes later, I found myself telling God not to take that seriously.

Instagram is solely responsible for this misbehaviour.


No comments: