Sunday, February 18, 2018

The Black Panther is more than just a movie

I really don't have a funny story today, or some genuine ancestral insight that I want to pass on.  My mind is scattered all over the place at the moment after watching Black Panther that I really needed to pen it down in order to gather my thoughts and bring my mind back to order. 

I'm telling you again, this might not be interesting for you, the following is only the random thoughts that go on in my head from day to day, much more today than a regular day. I'm actually allowing you to come into my head and listen to me think, talk to myself, motivate myself, and encourage myself. There's usually a lot that goes on in my mind. And this is a small snippet of it. 

Continue reading with caution. You've been warned. 

So, I can safely say I am now a Marvel fan now, and I loved Black Panther! There might or might not be any spoilers. I cannot comprehend how the whole team has been so creative, that I don’t want to be careful about what I speak. 

About a few months ago, I used to muse over how some music directors are so creative. How do they know what will sound good and what won't? How do they know what works and what doesn't? Who decides what the trend is? Who sets the bench mark? The truth is, there's isn't a set bench mark for creativity. It's what they've decided they like and it trends. 

There’s no such thing as normalcy when it comes to creativity. There isn’t a set of rules to follow. But that doesn’t mean you can randomly put things together and declare it as creative or the new standards. Creativity comes from a lot of practice, hardworking, and experience. And most importantly dedication and discipline. Always remember that there's bucket loads of experience and hard work behind every achievement that has paid off. 

Which leads me on to this movie in particular. I’ve seen other Marvel movies, like Ant Man, which I enjoyed because it was funny, and I’ve seen Captain America: Civil War, which I did not enjoy because I was uncomfortable in the front seat of the theatre, had a splitting headache and didn't have a clue how each of the characters came about. But with Black Panther, it didn't matter whether I saw anything else or not. 1/3rd into the movie and I was already telling myself that I wanted to watch it again (partially because I didn’t follow the first bit of who was who and who killed whom, but mostly because it was really good that I wanted to see the details the second time round).  The first thing that struck me about this movie, is how well planned, how creative and how completely out of the world it was. 

As much as the praises we have for the movie, it’s really important to remember that the entire team haven’t started off now. This isn’t their first movie. They've obviously got so much experience under their belts in the past years, that has led them to improve their skills. What they reap now is what they’ve sown in the past. But having said that, the director of the movie said in an interview that there isn’t a day that he didn't doubted himself throughout the whole shooting process. Doubting yourself doesn’t mean you underestimate yourself. It only means you need to challenge yourself everyday. There was a scene in the movie where the King’s sister says that she has an improved upgrade for some of the devices, for which the king says it already works fine. But then his sister reminds him, just because something works, doesn't mean you can't improve it to work better. Continue to work hard to have continuity in improvements. It's always good to have a better version of you. It's always beneficial to sharpen your skills. 

At the end of the movie, the King speaks at a global meeting, and announces that for the first time in world history, Wakanda is going to reach out and share it’s knowledge to make the world a better place. Now, I’ve seen the movie, so I know what he means when they are willing to share their knowledge. The technology and riches in Wakanda is at a place where the rest of the world cannot even imagine, but it’s been the best kept secret ever that the world only knows Wakanda as the poorest third world country that does  want help from anyone else. One of the politicians  on the panel asked, ‘With all due respect, what can a farming third world country teach the rest of the world?' 'With all due respect, don't judge someone that you don't know'. Don't just take someone at face value. 



No comments: