Thursday, July 23, 2009

behold the war has started!

mum has finally started cooking in my kitchen... now i wish i hadnt pushed her so much !

last thursday, she took over my clothes cupboard

last friday, she took over my bathroom

last saturday, she started rearranging stuff in my kitchen. i found onions and potatoes sitting on the kitchen counter rather than in the cupboard. the rice container was sitting on the floor just next to the microwave table (i never had rice in my flat before, so it doesnt belong anywhere).

on sunday i found all my biscuits and cookies and munching stuff happily hiding in the cupboard together with my breakfast stuff n cooking stuff. and my new cans and unopened packs of food went missing from its place!! cos my mum hid it all in a corner (according to her, those dont need to be visible everyday!)

on monday, there was some more changes in the kitchen

on tuesday, my stuff in the freezer were all hopping about

on wednesday, i couldnt find anything i wanted in the fridge, cos they were all hidden behind one another.

in short, mum spent the entire week rearranging all my stuff and i spent the entire week cooking for her cos she wasnt used to my kitchen yet. i didnt mind it at all actually, cos i've never cooked for her before (ignore the fact that i tried to cook for her when i was back home last year). when i cooked on wednesday afternoon last week (just after mum had reached), she didnt complain much (i'd like to think she didnt complain too much cos she was too tired and the jet lag was taking its toll on her) but the food was really good according to my standard.

everday since then has been a bit of a tension cos mum doesnt like my cooking ... cos she wants every dish to be different, with the exact amount of salt, spices and variety but i dont give a damn if there's enough salt or if there's enough spices. as long as something goes into my stomach when i'm hungry and as long as my tummy behaves itself and not embarrass me in public by making noise, i'm happy. i couldnt be bothered to taste the food while i'm cooking and i couldnt be least bothered to have a variety of it all!

so i gave mum time till monday to learn everything around the kitchen and then she can start cooking. guess wat she did... she switched everything around in the kitchen and finally started cooking today.

we've been going out almost everyday since sunday, so mum never really had the time to cook. it was me who did all the cooking. mum promised that we'll stay in on thursday and she'll cook so that i can concentrate on my dissertation. she entered the kitchen at 11.30am today. at about 12.30pm she said lunch will be ready whenever i'm ready to eat. so i told her i'll be done by 1.30pm.

at 1.40pm i still wasnt done with my work and i still hadnt heard from mum yet. i walked in to the kitchen cos i was starving, and was greeted by a hurricane-run-kitchen, with most of my utensils and pots and pans on the counter (this coming from a mother who used to complain that i use up too many things unnecessarily for the simplest needs back home). that aside, i thought she had finally finished cooking, but all i saw that was ready was the curry that was almost done more than an hour ago, and some chopped tomatoes and onions. oh, n the rice was cooking in the rice cooker.

i didnt quite understand wat took her so long, and wat she was doing all along... i was gonna ask her that, but then thought the better of it and kept my mouth shut! (thank God i did!). she wasnt in one of her best moods. she had been struggling her way through in the kitchen looking for the things that she needed and she wasnt happy at all cos she didnt have wat she always uses at home. i quietly ate some biscuits and helped her around in the kitchen.

n then lunch was finally done slightly past 2pm. see... i am needed for everything!! if i hadnt entered the kitchen when i did, i highly doubt lunch would have been ready even by 3pm! (sshhh.. dont tell my mum i said that!)

even though mum takes a long time to cook, lunch was amazingly heavy today. i had to take a break from eating n go for a walk in the house before i could finish the food on my plate! n then i spent the next half an hour digesting the food by cleaning up the mess my mum made in the kitchen!

our roles have switched ever since mum came here. I do the cooking, cleaning, sorting out, arranging and being a perfectionist, while mum does the complaining, eating, non helping part :S

now that she's finally happy (as happy as she can get with a close to well equipped kitchen), she's gonna take care of the cooking herself (while she makes me do all the washing, of course), for which i'm very very grateful, but not too thrilled about .... cos i wont be able to fit into my graduation dress by the end of the year if i eat like i did today!!!!

excuse me, i got to go now... it's time for dinner... i got to go n stuff myself with some yummy homemade tomato cutney n thosa (i wonder how those turned out, especially when mum had to use my sauce pan (i dont have thosa cooking thing.. watever u call it) n no lid big enough to fit it)

No comments: